Hormann High Performance Doors is a German company that manufactures high speed garage doors that close within a matter of seconds to maintain conditioned air efficiency. Their doors are ideal for fire departments, ambulances, car dealerships, and other spaces with a lot of door traffic.
The company has grown considerably since establishing business in the United States, which led to building expansion plans to its Burgettstown, PA, facility. Hormann’s original building was a Butler Building and since W.K. Thomas is a Butler Builder, the team was invited to bid on the Hormann expansion project.
Although initially Hormann expected to use a larger contractor for the project, they were impressed with W.K. Thomas’ value engineering suggestions during the bidding process. As a result, W.K. Thomas saved Hormann over one million dollars through the use of design upgrades to the building’s HVAC system and concrete floor among several other value added changes. Hormann also appreciated the team’s high value in engineering, planning, and expertise.
W.K. Thomas, project manager, Jeff Allen, lived on site for the duration of the nine-month project. This dedication from the W.K. Thomas team ensured a smooth and efficient project timeline that met Hormann’s specific needs.
Building Expansion Features:
- 140,000 square feet added to the original 50,000 square-foot building
- Unique addition that wraps around original building on three sides
- High-pitch roofs with Butler MR-24 standing seam roof system
- Butler Thermawall insulated wall panels in custom Hormann Blue
- Reduction of floor control joints with use of Ductilcrete and Cosinus joint floor system
- Two 10-ton underhung cranes to adhere to building requirements
- 200 prismatic skylights
- Siphonic internal gutter system that drains over two acres of roof
The additional space supported business growth as it gave Hormann more production and warehousing space. It also upheld the specific look and feel of Hormann’s brand. The “Hormann Blue” building with orange trim and tons of natural daylighting helped the company further establish its presence in the market and boast an extremely impressive facility.